Make Rosewater with Steam and Heat.
The following post, titled "How to Make Rose Water," was adapted from content originally published on the bMAKER blog.
A reasonable amount of time to read this: 6 minutes
You can find recipes online for making rosewater. Rose water, with its lovely, subtle floral aroma, can be used in countless culinary and cosmetic applications as well as at home via the heat and steam method.
Recipe for Rosewater
Hello, has anyone here ever wanted to know the secret to making rose water?
I've always been partial to fragrant toiletries, and they're surprisingly simple to whip up in the kitchen.
Rose water can be made using either the heat (or simmer) method or the steam (or distilling) method, both of which are performed on the stovetop.
Rose Water's Many Benefits
One could never exhaust rose water's potential applications.
The rose flavor and aroma can be added to any dish simply by replacing the water in the recipe with this.
You could use this as an ingredient in cocktails or sweets.
You can improve your mood by using rosewater, which can be sprayed on your sheets before bed or added to your bath water.
In the image above, the "Heat" method is on the left and the "Steam" method is on the right.
Using Heat versus Using Steam as a Means
Simmering rose petals over a flame is how the heat method produces rose water.
By using a filter or cheesecloth, you can make a rosewater "tea" in a pinch.
Colorful rose water (as seen in the photos) and more of it can be obtained in less time.
If I could extract rose water in this way, I would use it in cooking.
By using steam, rose water can be distilled into a hydrosol.
It's slightly more complicated to set up, but it works over a heat source as well.
For rose water, you boil rose petals in water and then strain the resulting vapor into a bowl set high above the liquid.
When steam collides with the inverted lid, condensation forms on the lid and drips down into the bowl.
To facilitate droplet formation, ice or ice packs placed atop the lid are recommended.
By using this method, the rose water is either completely clear or nearly so. A usable quantity requires at least 30 minutes to obtain.
If stored properly (in a dark, covered glass container for up to 6 months), it will maintain its freshness.
Since the rose water produced in this manner retains its quality for a longer period of time, I plan to use it in cosmetics.
- One-fourth cup of dried rose petals (edible variety)
- Water, distilled, 1 1/2 cups
- pot (with a cover)
- You can use cheesecloth or a paper filter like I do to strain the mixture.
- a wet measure or other container in which to collect the rose water after filtration
- glass spray bottles in either amber or cobalt blue (16 ounce capacity)
- a tall pot with a curved lid (one that is see-through is ideal, as it allows you to monitor the condensation process and determine when it is time to replace the ice).
- something to keep the bowl off the water and rose petals, like a grate, a vegetable steamer (what I use with the middle unscrewed), or an upside-down small metal colander.
- small metal bowl for rose water collection
Please share your rose water uses in the comments.
To help others, if you've tried this recipe and found it to be successful, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and a comment letting us know how it went.
A big thank you to everyone who has read and followed along
- In a medium-small pot, boil 1/4 cup dried rose petals with 1/5 cup distilled water.
- Slowly simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the petals have lost most of their color, after bringing to a boil. Take off the heat
- To filter liquid, place cheesecloth or a filter (I prefer a No. Coffee Filter, Number Four) In order to remove the rose petals from the rosewater, simply pour the rosewater through a filter.
- Wet the dried rose petals and place them in the bottom of a tall, wide pot. To make a platform for the small metal bowl, set a vegetable steamer upside down (you could also use a small colander, brick, or something else heat-safe).
- Set a tiny metal bowl atop the stand.
- The steam can be collected and dripped into the bowl if the lid is placed concavely, with the dome facing downward. Raise temperature to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Keep on low heat for 30 minutes (or longer if more rose water is desired) and top off with water as needed.
- Once the desired amount of rose water has been distilled, transfer it to a heat-safe container by pouring it through a funnel while wearing oven mitts. After the rose water has cooled to room temperature, you can use it immediately or store it in the refrigerator for up to six months in a dark glass container.
In my capacity as an Amazon Associate and participant in various affiliate programs, I am entitled to a commission on purchases that meet certain criteria. Earned #Commissions #Ad
HLM Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set, 3-Piece (One-Quart, Two-Piece) Stainless Steel Mesh 5.0 and 4.0 5-Quart)
15-Piece OXO Good Grips Set for Everyday Cooking
Whisk Set, 3 Piece, Stainless Steel, AmazonBasics
Homestia 8-Piece Gold Stainless-Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons for Dry and Wet Ingredients with Graduated Measurements, Perfect for Baking and Cooking
ME Black FAN Silicone Coaster Set of 3, Insulated, Flexible, Durable, Multi-Use Trivet Mat with Detailed Carvings.
An Extendable Steamer Handle from OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel
Nugget Ice Maker | Countertop | GE Profile Opal |
Oven Mitts with Quilted Liner, Extra Long, Professional Silicone, Red, 1 Pair, Homwe
bMAKER Red Dried Rose Buds & Petals (1 lb) — Edible, Food-Grade; Use in Tea, Baking, Rose Water, Crafts; Free Sample of Rose Absolute Essential Oil
Finedine Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls, 6-Piece Set, Mirror-Polished, 3-Quart to 1-Quart Nested Bowls 5 Gallon, 3 Pint, 4 Half-Gallon, 8 Quart Cookware
Set of three clear Pyrex glass measuring cups that are safe to use in the microwave and oven.
Coffee Sock, Cold Brew Filter Strainer Bag, Hemp Nut Milk Bag Reusable, Reusable Coffee Filter for 64 Ounces of Coffee, 1 Pack Mason Jar
This Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven holds 6 quarts. Traditional Dutch oven in Island Spice red enamel
Grey 7-quart Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover
OXO's Secure Fit 3-Piece Funnel and Strainer Set with Good Grips Handles
Saucepan Cover for the 1 1/2-Quart Chef's Classic Stainless Steel Saucepan by Cuisinart 719-16
The Serving Size: Calories: 308 Total Fat: 0g Trans Fats: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 175mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 14g Protein: 1g
Please keep in mind that the Nutritional Values Calculated are only approximations.
Has anyone tried this recipe? Share it on social media and thank us in advance by tagging us (@lifeslittlesweets) and using the hashtag (#lifeslittlesweets)
- Originally published on July 29, 2018, this post has since been revised and republished on December 5, 2018, February 27, 2020, July 29, 2020, and January 9, 2023.
Verb Usage:1. [person] (express, communicate) convey "hello," he expressed—hola—conveyed; what did you communicate? ¿qué comunicaste?; he communicated to me that... me comunicó que...; to communicate to oneself expresarse internamente; he expressed (that) he'd do it expresó que él lo haría;
How to Properly Say Hyundai: An English Speaker's GuideHyundai, an automobile manufacturer from South Korea, has gained significant popularity in the United States. To pronounce Hyundai correctly, follow these guidelines: Say it as "hye-un-dye," with emphasis on the second syllable. When pronouncing the
As an individual who frequently discusses digital currencies, I often encounter repetitive inquiries from my friends and family. The prevailing question is usually, "What exactly is Bitcoin?", followed by, "Do you possess any bitcoins?", and finally, "How does one correctly pronounce the term
Exploring the World of Charcuterie BoardsCharcuterie boards have become a trendy and fashionable way to present a diverse assortment of cured meats, both hard and soft cheeses, fruits, nuts, and other accompaniments like crackers or bread. They can be enjoyed as appetizers or even take center stage as